How are matric results calculated
You have reached the finish line. 12 years of trials and tribulations, tears, laughter, friends for life, tantrums, good memories but most of all lots and lots of hard work. That final mark that appears on your matric report is ultimately what unlocks the door to your future. But how exactly is it calculated?
25% of the final matric mark comes from your Internal School-based Assessments (SBA). This mark is given to you by your school and is made up of all class work, assignments, tests and exams done throughout the year. The other 75% is from the external final exam – except of course for LO (life orientation), which is 100% internal assessment (note to self: always remember to pack PT clothes).
There are so many different passes – what do they all mean?
It is always compulsory to pass your home language with at least 40% – anything less than that magical 40% for a home language means you fail.
Always check the entrance requirements of the course you wish to study but we have given general guidelines below.
NSC (National Senior Certificate) Pass
To get an NSC pass you need your 40% minimum for your home language and 40% for another 2 subjects – you can fail a subject – even your first additional language – but you must then get 30% or more for the other 6 making a total of 6 passes. If you have an average of 33⅓% you will be awarded with your NSC.
Once you have obtained your NSC you can apply to any public FET or private college like UniCollege – there is a wide range of programmes which can open many doors in your future.
How matric results are calculated
Higher Certificate pass
As we said, you must pass your home language with 40% – with a higher certificate you must also pass your first additional language – so you need to pass both languages here. You need 40% for any other 2 subjects and then 30% for another 3. You can still fail a subject (as long as it is not a language) and be awarded the higher certificate.
Private and FET colleges are waiting for you to teach you many exciting skills that will prepare you for the world of work.
40% minimum for 4 subjects (yes home language a must) and you cannot fail a subject for a diploma pass, the remaining 3 have to have a minimum of 30%.
With a diploma pass you can gain entrance to a university of technology and a private or FET college.
A minimum of 50% for 4 subjects (40% minimum for home language) and 30% minimum for the other 3 – also NO failing here allowed.
A bachelors pass allows you entrance into a university, university of technology, private college or FET college.